Saturday, January 19, 2008

Breakfast anyone?

Since my last post, I've been thinking about breakfast. It's a tough meal for me, first because I'm hungry, as you know from my last post, but also because I can't eat just anything.

So I'm asking: What do you eat for breakfast? I'm asking because I feel like I may need to revamp my menu for My Favorite Meal of the Day. I usually eat cold cereal, as I've said. Lately I've had 2 servings of Corn Chex with a cup of skim milk and a banana sliced on top. And one packet of Equal. The only time I EVER sweeten my cereal with sugar (or a substitute) is when I put a banana in it. Don't know why. I grew up putting sugar in my non-sugar cereal (we never had anything sugary) but when I left home I stopped doing it. Who knows. I just couldn't stop sugaring the bananas. But I digress.

I have felt like cereal is a good choice because I don't love just drinking plain milk and it's a good way to get milk in my diet. Also it's easy and tasty. The drawbacks are that to eat enough to really satisfy my hunger I eat too many calories. But I also wonder what WOULD satisfy my hunger without eating too many calories? I know oatmeal doesn't do it. I love oatmeal and could eat buckets full (okay, I know that's an exaggeration, but I seems like I could) to satisfy my hunger.

So what to do you all eat for breakfast? What could I eat that would satisfy a ravenous breakfast lover without blowing my calories?

Also, I've never really thought about the Glycemic Index. Is this something I should be considering when making food choices?

By the way, it's interesting how my post for the last few days all have to do with food! Hmm...

3 comments:

Alisa said...

I don't have a problem with being satisfied after breakfast so I usually eat a high fiber cereal with milk-- Frosted Mini Wheats, (there are tons of flavors, strawberry, vanilla maple and they are off brand and cheap too)or Quaker Oatmeal Squares is good, Kashi although I have grown tired of Kashi. I read an article recently sent to me from E diets. I like getting them they give good tips on dieting and exercise etc. The guy is a body builder and he wrote the article saying that "I know nobody wants to hear they need to train like a bodybuilder but all the tips I am going to give you are the same ones the body builders use. They are trying to reduce their body fat as best as they can- which is what all of us are trying to do. He said that you never skip breakfast (we all know this) but that balancing carb, fat and protien ratios is really important to how satisfied we feel how use our energy and how our body drops the weight. I think glycemic index helpful. I try to keep that kind of stuff in mind even if I don't let it rule me. An egg is 70 cal, a peice of whole wheat toast 110 calories (if you use a spread on it a little more) a light yogurt is another 100(for yoplait)some fruit another 65 depending on what and how much. That is A Lot of healthy food and pretty satisfying for 345 calories. Its not as fast though huh? Or like a bowl of oatmeal (I eat mine with a little splenda and milk, some eggs with spinach or other vegetables like Erin said and that is a filling breakfast too. I know you like cereal though, so maybe have a bowl with an egg and fruit or something- I bet it will get you farther on fewer calories. What do you think?

Unknown said...

Cereal (the healthy fiberous stuff), oatmeal, and Cream of Wheat are always on rotation at our house. About once a week we have an egg dish and about once a week pancakes.

I have a big variety of oatmeal things. Sometimes I chop apples and add syrup. Sometimes I make it really thin and sip it. Sometimes it's really thick and I spread it on toast. Most always sweetened with brown sugar or not at all.

I made the best blender pancakes this morning and we all liked them (excpet Brady complained because he's a White Boy -- and he tried them cold after church). If you don't know it uses the raw wheat berries and are quite good for you.

Eggs I usually serve with potatoes of some sort -- varying types of hashbrowns usually. And always 1-2 whole eggs per 9-12 egg whites -- all the protein without the fat and cholesterol. My favorite is an egg white omelet made with one sunnysideup egg gooey on top with salt and pepper. Add a piece of toast or two to dip and you're set!

And I'm always trying to sneak veggies in whenever I can. Like today I made meatballs with grated carrots and onions. But especially in something they're used to like eggs. So easy.

A little more rarely we have smoothies. We had chocolate peanut butter banana smoothies today for a snack made with some flaxseed oil, too (in the pb). The girls loved it.

I could go on all night on this topic.

Unknown said...

BTW - The Glycemic Index is just a way to generally understand what happens to your body after you eat certain foods. On a whole "White" things don't last as long (make your blood sugar spike), while "brown" things last longer. (I know that's REALLY general all you nutrition majors).

Still, potatoes are high, but I consider them a cheap whole grain that my kids like. I don't do juice, so it helps them with vitamin C, potassium, iron, and fiber. It also helps to add things that are not high on the GI to things that are(like cheese, beans, veggies, etc.) on top to even the digestion out.

I really don't use the Glycemic Index, I just have a general idea. But, since you said you were feeling hungry I thought it could help.