Friday, January 18, 2008

Lazy Dinner Success

I was gone all day yesterday and didn't plan dinner, and when I don't plan, it doesn't always turn out great because it's just thrown together. Besides that, I only had a couple hundred calories left (see below) for my daily allotment and I didn't want to make a huge dinner and not be able to eat it. Is that terrible?

Well, I had stopped by Great Harvest Bread because it was on the way home from my MIL's rest home, and grabbed a hunk of bread for Simon to eat while we drove--we weren't going to get home in time for him to eat much before he had to be at the bus stop to go to Kindergarten. I also picked up two loaves of delicious, diet-busting bread. I was able to resist eating too much (that doesn't mean I didn't eat any--see above), but I knew I wanted to use it quickly because I didn't know how long my will-power would hold out. (I'm a carb lover.) I thought about having a breakfast dinner with toast and eggs, but at the suggestion of a breakfast dinner, Parker requested waffles. Then Trevor suggested a childhood frequency: poor man's pancakes (toast with butter & syrup on it). Then I thought, why not just throw the bread in the waffle iron and have "poor man's waffles?" That sounded good to Parker, and when it came out it looked like checkerboard toast. He buttered and syruped it and inhaled it, saying how good it was (even though the toasted parts were VERY crunchy). Autumn and Simon wanted some too, and they each had two. So my poor man's waffles with our breakfast dinner were a success. We tried to come up with a snappy name for them and this is what we thought up: Toastifulls, Breffles, or Waffle Toast. Unfortunately, I couldn't try them, but they sure smelled good! And the kids kept saying, "Mom, you need to put this on your blog!" So here I am blogging about my lazy dinner success. I'm not sure this is something to be proud of, but at least the kids were happy!

2 comments:

Alisa said...

Way to go good idea. You are so good at counting your calories. Some days I am better than others. I think I did OK today with my eating, but not as good as some others. I run into problems when I choose to eat something that I don't have nutrition information for. Today that was a big problem most of the stuff I ate I had no nutrition info so I had to do my best guessing. Tomorrow will be better I'll make sure to eat stuff that I know about. I am still working out all the kinks to know what I can eat. I would like to learn daily amounts better so that I can eat without having to actually count every calorie.

Unknown said...

I'm soooo with you on the couting calorie thing. I really want to be at the point where I don't have to count every calorie. BUT, I also want to be at a different weight.

I've been trying to count only calories at each meal/snack and I try to keep it around 300, with more for dinner, of course. Snacks are considered any eating between my 3 regular meals). This way, I only count at each meal and then I don't worry about totals until the end of the day or the next morning (or never, who am I kidding?).

Still, I'm like you and don't have all the kinks worked out, yet.

As for you, Julie, what's your intensity on those workouts? Since coming back from Utah I realized that most of my workouts lacked intensity. When I was running hills I didn't have to think about intensity because it was built in to the workout. Now, I'm more daring than I have ever been -- and I like it!

You can do it, Julie.