Friday, January 11, 2008

Torture

I've been focused and on track this week with my diet and exercise and feel like I'm doing pretty well. Case in point: Trevor made pizza for dinner on Thursday night, which I love. I made spinach soup (pureed onions, chicken bouillion, water, potatoes, zucchini, spinach). I ate about a cup of the soup (it didn't taste too bad for water and vegetables) and HALF a piece of pizza. I took a whole piece but halfway through I knew I could only eat half of it. It was good, but I couldn't afford the calories. Boo hoo.

So I'm only going to weigh myself once a week. This is different for me, because I usually weigh myself once a day--correction: I weigh myself once when I wake up and once after I exercise (I like to see the false water weight loss from sweating). So this once a week thing is like torture! What if what I'm doing isn't working and I weigh in on Monday and I haven't lost anything? My expectations are so high that I'm afraid I'll be disappointed if I don't lose enough! But I can't lower my expectations, either! I've got to have hope so I can keep this up. So how can I have hope without my expectations being too high?

Perhaps I shouldn't worry too much about this until I actually weigh myself on Monday. I may be worrying for nothing...or maybe not.

5 comments:

anna said...

i seem to do better at losing weight when i am NOT worrying about that scale. best advice i have ever been given-measure. if your clothes fit better, if your tape measures you smaller, you are doing it! sometimes we don't lose because we are retaining water or gained muscle or a lot of other factors...don't get down! you look GREAT!!

Unknown said...

I agree. Living in Scale Fear is not fun (I should know). It's like Anna said -- sometimes you're up and sometimes you're down. The trick is to stick with it. One week you may not have lost, or dare I say... gained. BUT, if you stay on track, you may just find that one day you'll just freakishly lose, too!

Don't change your expectations, just try to view them more long-term, as opposed to what happens this week.

I may occasionally bow to the scale gods, but I always feel good when my clothes fit (and I'm not talkin' 'bout my fat jeans!).

Just stay accountable, and relax, you're doing great.

Unknown said...

Once again, the comment above is not Brady, it's Kari Ann.

Do we need separate computers now, too??

Erin said...

So we are all trying to lose weight here huh? Next time we see eachother I hope we are all looking good. Mom is even joining WW w/ Val she told me. Good luck Julie w/ the weighin. I am only weighing myself once a week as well. I decided I need a better scale, the $4 one from Ikea isn't gonna cut it.

Alisa said...

I was just talking to Erin today about when and how often to weigh in. She said that Bob Greene says to not weigh in maybe for a whole month at first because it can be so hard at in the beginning. I just got a new scale from Costco. I have been needing one for a while. There was a coupon for $10 off so I got it for $17. It is digital and modern looking. It weights to the 0.1 lbs. It is so much better than the analog scale I got on clearance shortly after Ed and I were married. Speaking of which I didn't have a scale in college and rarely new how much I weighed unless I took a PE class where we weighed in or when I went home for bit. I guess I just knew from how my clothes fit back then! Still I love my new scale and getting it inspired me. I started a new regimen and am trying pretty hard (it has been 2 days now)and after one day I had lost a pound. Tomorrow will be the second day and I doubt I lose a pound then, but maybe a couple ounces! I like that I can now see if I gain any ounces or not. I plan to weigh often for now. It just keeps me going and on top of it. I might change one day, but for now I like seeing like you said if it is working. However I think that whatever helps a person to best lose weight is the best option which might be weighing once a week. I don't want to obsess unecessarilyl.