Friday, January 25, 2008

Blessings

I've felt very blessed lately.

Today was Trevor's day off (he gets alternating Fridays off) so after Simon got on the bus the we grabbed Eli and the three of us took off. We checked out Tai Pan Trading and I saw a ton of things I loved. After that, I really wanted to eat lunch out, but we both knew we shouldn't for several reasons. So we stopped by our regular hangout, Deseret Industries. I go to DI to look for things to sell on ebay, but also to shop. I think it's fun! On the way home we stopped by our neighborhood produce store and picked up a bunch of fruit and vegetables. So for lunch I had a big plate of veggies and dip. It tasted so good, and Eli helped me eat, although a little while later I found a half-chewed carrot on the floor of the front room. He's not quite ready for raw carrots, but he sure wants to be!

Later, Trevor and I went on a date (a rare occurrence)! A friend of his invited us to a Quick Wits show in Salt Lake, so Trevor picked up his mom from the care center while I made dinner. After dinner (more fresh veggies with fish sticks and mashed potatoes, which my kids love) we took off to the show and I laughed like crazy. It was a great show, but it's held in a big warehouse with pretty bad acoustics, so they turn off the loud heater so people can hear the show. I froze. Somehow my body has lost it's ability to stay warm! I had to thaw out before I could sit down to blog about it. Next time I'll bring a blanket or two.

But getting to my point, tonight was the first night in almost 2 weeks that we didn't have family scripture study. We've known that our family needed to study the scriptures together, but there was always something that stopped us. But since we've started up again things have been very good in our house! We have our share of trials, and our children are not exempt from their own, but since we started studying the scriptures together I've noticed that their problems are not as much of a problem anymore! These are the blessings that we've been promised by the prophets. Our family is living proof and I'm grateful for it. We plan to keep it up!

5 comments:

Alisa said...

Thats awesome. I am glad you are seeing such a difference. Besides everything being better in your home, some credit should be given to your attitude and perception. Even though the problems have not gone away you are seeing them in a different perspective. You are right we are blessed for doing what the prophets and the Lord have asked us. Our family has been reading for while - we make it really short and we do it along with family prayer. However we had gotten so that it was a nobody was paying attention or listening and we never discussed it- it was a joke. It is hard when the children are young. However we have found a new approach. I'll give the credit to Ed it was his idea. He has been very diligent in carrying out scripture study, even though starting scripture study was my idea, he has always carried it out. This new approach is that we read just one verse and discuss it and figure out what it means in context of the verses we have read before. It might get harder when we get to some chapters where the whole verse states what a seon is worth. However we are in first Nephi and talking about Lehi and his family and it works great for this area of scripture. I am surprised at how much there is to talk about from just one verse. I am learning things I didn't know after reading the scriptures since I was 12!

Erin said...

That's great! We started scripture study a couple of weeks ago too as a family. I read a talk about baptism when I was preparing for It's Great to be 8 and it talked about children's brains between the ages of 2 and 4 and how they soak up so much. It also mentioned that if they learned that early it would make a difference and how they would be more prepared for baptism when the time came. And how to start early. So, I decided for now we can just read the little kid Book of Mormon with the kids. Adam loves it, he will remind me if I have forgotten, so cute.

Unknown said...

We rotate between books, alternating kid/adult. Also, every other adult book is the Book of Mormon.

So, last year we read the BoM, then we read the Children's Bible Stories, then we read the Pearl of Great Price, then we did the Children's Book of Mormon on CD-Rom, and now we're back in the BoM again. It works well.

With the spacing between my kids, I can't wait for them all to be able to understand the adult stuff before we start reading it -- that's why we alternate. It works well.

We typically read at night, but our time is not set in stone (nothing in my life is) and we try to read more on Sundays because we have more time.

I love that it has become such a habit for us -- but I NEVER take it for granted. Even habits take effort sometimes.

Unknown said...

Oh and about being cold -- welcome to the Woes of the Skinny! You rock!!

Alisa said...

I am watching the lasagna throwdown right now!!! That looks so freakin good. I found myself thining I should make that soon when that reminded me of your comment about it on Erin's blog. I haven't made lasagna in a long time. Did you see the puffy taco one in San Antonio, TX? Yum- I want that one too. Dieting is hard when you watch the food network!