Sunday, February 3, 2008

Eating Crow


My husband is a big fan of MMA (Mixed Martial Arts), AKA cage fighting. (Remember Kip in Napoleon Dynamite? "I'm training to be a cage fighter.") Now, Trevor doesn't watch football or other sports on TV, so I have to be grateful that it's limited to that. It could be worse, I suppose. Even so, whenever he turns it on, I leave the room. I can't stand the stuff and really have no desire to be around when it's on. I just don't get the draw of watching two tattooed guys with morbid nicknames and weird hair beat each other up to a bloody pulp.

But last night we both were invited to a pay-per-view event at the home of Trevor's friend Gary. I really didn't care to go, but agreed to so I could spend more time with my hubby on a pseudo-date, and also to enjoy the company of our friends. Gary and Amy are fun people and have a beautiful home. Amy has a vinyl business and her home is decorated with tons of cool vinyl sayings. But that's a whole other post. I brought a magazine as boredom insurance.

As the night progressed, I enjoyed talking to our friends and even watched the fighting a little bit. I did take my magazine out during the slow fights, but that's mostly because I had been looking forward to reading the new Runner's World that had just come. There were some pretty cool takedowns (don't know if that's the correct terminology, but I heard it a few times, so I should be safe). After a while, the main event came on, and I watched. There was a lot of hype and drama, but the actual fighting (and this is hard for me to admit) was kind of exciting and I was actually interested! *GASP*

Don't get me wrong; I'm not turning into a MMA fan and don't think I ever will (I'd rather scrapbook any day than watch Randy Couture fight), but I'm repenting for not giving it a chance and losing all that time with my husband. From now on, maybe I won't leave the room when he's watching and just find a magazine to read when it gets boring...

No comments: