Sunday, February 24, 2008

Apple Fritters and Instincts

Yesterday was moving day for my MIL who, as many of you know, is moving into an assisted living center. She's beside herself with excitement, so it makes us happy to see her so happy about life. She can't actually move her self in until March 3, but we moved all her stuff out of our house and into her new room. It's going to be a really nice place for her and she SO wished she could stay.

I had to run some errands beforehand and the kids begged me to stop at Krispy Kreme for donuts to share with Trevor's brother & nephew that were helping. (Ya, that was it.) I told myself I could have one donut and that would be my treat. I had had a good run that morning and I'd be spending a good portion of the day moving stuff. That was my rationalization. So against my better judgement, I chose an apple fritter. I knew I should just stick with a regular glazed donut, but a powerful force took over my brain and I ignored my instincts. Ohhh, it was good, too.

When I got home I checked the calorie content online for my daily log--I was going to be brutally honest with myself, and I knew it would be brutal--and found out that the apple fritter is the HIGHEST CALORIE PASTRY sold at Krispy Kreme (along with the Caramel Kreme Crunch, which just sounds sinful). I didn't think it would be that brutal. It has a whopping 380 calories, compared to the 200-calorie original glazed donut. My instincts were right, but I kicked them to the curb like yesterday's trash. Doh!

No comments: