Thursday, February 7, 2008

Payback

We went to parent-teacher conferences yesterday. We were told that our children are smart (I didn't need to be told that) but stubborn (I knew that, too). Don't know where they got it. Not a clue! Simon, our kindergartener, turned in an assignment (one that he probably could have done in his sleep) with just scribbles on it. And he can rarely be cajoled into reading when he doesn't want to.

Although not so stubborn, Autumn is excelling in school. Her only problem is that she's friends with everyone and she can talk and work at the same time, but not everyone else can do that. Hmm...I can't imagine where this attribute came from either. Certainly not me, though. Perhaps Grandpa Parker or Grandma Fay. That's both sides of the family.

Eli, the 2-year-old, is growing out of naps (yikes!) already. I put him down and he just cries for as long as I let him, sometimes 20-30 minutes. And don't try to get him to eat something he doesn't want to. It's not gonna happen.

What's a mom of stubborn kids to do? I remember a book my mom and dad had while I was growing up called "The Strong-Willed Child." Guess they had the same problem. Could it have been me? If so, I guess I've got my payback.

5 comments:

Alisa said...

I think everyone is stubborn in their own way when it comes to what they regaurd as important. To a 2 year old eating what they want is REALLY important. Sam can be that way too-- he eats pretty bad, in that all he ever wants is sugar i.e. candy. Some kids are more stubborn than others- I love my Alex but I think he might be the toughest. Simon being the same age as Alex, he might be yours huh? That is something else to do that with school work, cracks me up. Hearing they are smart is awesome, you must be beaming!

Unknown said...

Three cheers for smart kids!

As for the stubbornness, that comes with the territory, I suppose. Parents are just along for the ride.

Good luck!

Erin said...

I know all about stubborness! Logan and Adam are pretty picky but I do try to get Adam to try new things. It's hard!

anna said...

hee hee...i'm just glad we aren't the only ones with strong willed kids. it's actually really cute to read about their little personality traits!

anna said...

um, i think i married into the right family. hee hee. my kids are doomed. maybe you can learn all the tricks and then just let me in on the secrets!