Thursday, December 13, 2007

an artsy family

Sometimes I feel like I belong to the wrong family. My husband knows his way around an art project, and all our children follow suit. Tonight it was cheesy little pistachio and walnut shell people. He just grabbed the shells and started gluing.




The kids all went nuts (no pun intended) about them and wanted to make their own. Parker called them "Nutty Buddies." Yesterday and the day before it was Perler Beads. It's always

something. They always have to be creating. Most of the time I just let them go for it and hope they clean up after themselves. And this is my point. I have no desire to "create" unless it's dinnertime and we're hungry! I don't know if I just gave up on arts and crafts because everything I ever made turned out bad, or if it's because there's always something more important to do (like create dinner or some folded clothes). Either way is sad. I shouldn't give up on crafts mostly because it's time spent with the kids that will be memorable and appreciated by them.

So this is where scrapbooking comes in. When Simon is bored and can't possibly figure out what to do, I suggest scrapbooking. Then he and I both get to do something we like, and he gets to create. Scrapbooking is my one outlet where I don't mind if it turns out bad, and once in a while I make something that turns out good! But in 10 or 20 years no one will mind, and we'll all just be glad to have our pictures in a book where we can enjoy them. And again, it's cathartic.

No comments: