Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Pioneer Trek

Tomorrow morning I leave to go on our stake's youth pioneer trek, although you could say I leave tonight because we have to be at the stake center at 3:30 am. My role is a supporting one; I'm an aunt within our little family, and I'm told the uncle is one of the counselors in the stake presidency. We all board buses, as aforementioned, at 3:30 am Wednesday and make a 7-hour trip to Martin's Cove in Wyoming. We'll be trekking Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, then we head home Saturday morning.

Everyone is supposed to represent a real pioneer, ancestor or not, so I chose my third great grandmother Lucy Hoyt Allred, wife of Reddick Newton Allred. He was one of the first rescuers of the Willey and Martin handcart companies and a very faithful man.

I've sewn a pioneer skirt, an apron, and a scripture bag--we're supposed to carry our scriptures with us--and I have a bonnet, bloomers and hiking boots to complete the look. I've packed my meager belongings in a bucket to be placed in a handcart that will be pulled by our family. I have bug repellent (they say ticks are abundant there), sunblock, and chapstick. I have a mess kit, water bottle, rain poncho, and moleskin. Hopefully I'm ready for whatever comes my way...

I've never been on a pioneer trek, so I don't know what to expect. But everything I've heard makes it sound like an experience of a lifetime. I know I'm going as a leader, but I'm sure I'll learn as much as any of the youth. I'll report when I get back and hopefully I'll have some photos to share, too...

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck on the Trek (from what I hear about Treks, you'll need it!). I'll be awaiting the report!

BTW, where's your little Nike thingy? Are you still using it? You're my guinea pig.

Oh, and I checked out Trevor's blog, too. Cool blog/photos/husband!

Julie said...

KariAnn-I took the Nike thingy off because it stopped working (the link not the gadget). But I also haven't been using it and that's a story for another post that I may or may not talk about. It's not bad, just embarrassing.