Tuesday, June 3, 2008

I [heart] my nike + ipod



I'm not a gadget person. I don't necessarily need all the latest gear to make my life easier. Besides, if I had all that stuff then I'd have to find a place to put it!

But my husband, being a guy, likes gadgets. He had talked to me about the Nike + iPod and I just didn't appreciate it. Besides, I didn't have Nike shoes, so why bother?

Trevor is a good internet researcher and he found out that you don't have to have the shoes to use the Nike + and he got it for me for Mother's Day, as he stated in his previous post. That's after he got me an iPod Nano for HIS birthday. I thought I was in heaven with the music, but it gets better! Who knew?

He macgyvered the sensor to attach securely to my shoe, as in the above pic, using 2 rubber bands and some Velcro. I put the iPod in an armband with the receiver in it, and I've got my own little cheering section, of sorts. Before my run I choose a goal, such as distance, time or calories. Then as I'm running a woman's voice (you can choose a man's voice, too) comes on at certain increments and says, "You've completed 1 mile (or 100 calories, or 10 minutes)." Then it counts down after the halfway point and congratulates me when I reach my goal. At any time during my run I can push the middle iPod button and hear my time, distance, calories burned, and pace. It's been a great motivator for me and I thank my husband for his persistence!

5 comments:

Shauna said...

Julie, My neighbor who got me into running also has a gadget husband who bought her the ipod runner. He found some kind of pocket that will attach to any shoe. I really like your rubber band/velcro idea.
I run with a garmin gps system. Chad bought it for me two years ago. I talked to the Young Women about it and we decided to give it a name. (There is a virtual running partner.) Well, it's named Jack, after Jack Sparrow. So, when I can't find a friend to run with, I always have Jack.

Alisa said...

I am not techno savvy AT ALL. I barely can run my Garmin. However once I get use to something I get to where I can't live without it. That sounds like you and your gadget. When I was looking into a watch during the marathon training that gadget is what a dude at a running store really wanted me to get-- he thought it was the best. What I don't get is why Trevor didn't want anything for him except for you to have that-- he must just be a really nice guy. Ed and I aren't that nice yet :) maybe one day...

Brette said...

Julie,
I enjoyed viewing your blog. I saw Sarah this weekend and she passed on the website. So good to see you--even if its just on screen. Your kids are cute, cute, cute!

Also love my ipod for running. It makes it so I can stand to be on the treadmill longer than 10 minutes. There is a little pouch you can buy for the runner ($8), but I think the rubberband deal looks like it works just as well.
Brette

Autumn said...

mom I wish I had as much high tech as you

anna said...

wow! that is soooo cool!! now i need one of those...well, i WILL need one of those when i'm trying to lose baby weight again.

btw, we can't WAIT to see you guys next week! bring this gadget so i can Check It Out.