Wednesday, April 16, 2008

the dreaded plateau

Yes, it's true. I've hit it and it's no fun. I haven't lost any real weight since the beginning of the month. I started out the month at 138.4 and today I'm at 137.8, but I've been fluctuating a lot this whole time. So how does one break out of a plateau?

I've heard lots of different advice, like lowering your calories, raising your calories, changing up your workout routine, changing what you eat, etc. I haven't purposely tried any of those, but I'm afraid to raise my calories in fear of gaining weight, and I'm not sure I can lower my calorie intake--I barely have enough control as it is. So what I can reasonably do is change my workout routine. I really enjoy running and don't even mind getting up early to do it. I even look forward to it. I got a Billy Blanks kickboxing DVD and have done it once. Although it was great, I missed my treadmill. I do plan to start running outside this summer when my kids are out of school and the weather's warm, but I won't be able to do that until mid-May.

I guess I'll give Mr. Blanks another try tomorrow and see how I like it.

Anyone have any more advice? I'd love to hear anything you have to say! In the meantime, I'm going to do some internet research on the subject.

Previous weight: 138.4
Current weight: 137.8

Tentative pounds to go: 10.8

4 comments:

Erin said...

The plateau's stink, I've been sitting here around the same weight for awhile. But honestly Julie, you look so good. I really don't think you have any to lose, you are skinny! But, I know you want to lose more so obviously that is up to you but I think you are tiny!

anna said...

i can relate! i haven't lost anything in a month! i haven't been eating very well AND i am not working out even 3 times a week consistently. i don't think i can complain about my plateau.

hmm...usually to change up the workout routine helps but it also helps if you trick your body by changing your exertion level. like, run some sprints. run shorter some days, longer other days. do something you have never done for workout like yoga or dance. that's what has worked for me in the past. good luck!

Sarah said...

Hey Julie, I lost 12 lbs on phase one of South Beach, then stopped moving in phase two! That was about a month ago as well! I've been sitting here moving nowhere. So, I am taking drastic measures. Because my diabetes is an issue, I am trying Medifast, which is a meal replacement plan. My food is en route, so I'll let you know how it goes! Hang in there! (How many minutes a day do you exercise?)

Alisa said...

Yeah I know all about the those stinkin' plateaus- I've been in one for a month and before that it was like 2 years :) I keep trying to get myself to try harder but I like treats too much and I need to up the discipline. I am trying but only hard enough to maintain.

But I did just see you and know that you look skinny. Ed and I and Erin all agree you don't need to lose more. But that isn't meant to sound unsupportive because we all have our own particular goals and we want you to meet yours.

I found out Bear Lake (Garden City) has a marathon. I am planning to one day whether it be 1,2 or 3 years away to hopefully run that. I want to look into it to see what it is like.

Thanks for the comments on my Sam blog and I can't wait to read yours about little Eli.