Thursday, July 24, 2008

I'm a Survivor

I survived the pioneer trek and it was awesome. I walked and ate and laughed and cried. I loved getting to know new people in my stake and being a part of such a big and important event. I learned a lot and my testimony was strengthened. It is something I will always remember.

I didn't realize that there are many missionaries assigned to labor in Martin's Cove and the surrounding areas. We were able to hear from several of them during our trek. They spoke instructional and inspirational words to us in the visitor's center, at the crossing of the Sweetwater River, at Martin's Cove, before the women's pull, and for various other devotionals. (When the the men are "called away" to the Mormom Battalion the women have to pull the handcarts alone. The men walk 3/4 mile away up a hill and wait and are not allowed to help as the women pass.)

I gained so much more of a respect and love for the pioneers. We trekked for 3 days. The pioneers walked for 3 months. It was daily dust, wind, bugs, sun, heat, blistered feet, and weary bodies with seemingly no end in sight. Some handcart pioneers endured worse. But they did it gladly because a prophet of God had called them to gather to Zion and they would obey. Their faith and prayers are what got them through.

Yes, I was there as a leader, but I felt like I was learning and growing along with the youth. One evening we had a company competition playing pioneer games. One of the games was tug-o'-war and we pitted the leaders against the kids. I instinctively headed to the kids side, and it took me a few seconds to realize that I should be on the other side. Funny.

The uncle in our little family was a counselor in the Stake Presidency and I loved getting to know him. What a privilege! I didn't know what a crack-up he is. And there would be times as we were walking and pulling our handcart that I just felt so much love for our little family--and everyone. I had to hold myself back from declaring my love for the world. My heart was bursting.

Here's some pictures.


3 comments:

Alisa said...

Good job!! I love the pictures. I have never had the desire to do one of those, but now hearing about it from you all, I'm thinking it would be a very worthwhile experience. I have meant to aske you-- did the lady with the baby go?

Sarah said...

Way to go, Julie! Everyone here raved about the trek, too, but I'm happy to just hear about their experiences! What a whuss! Hey, I checked out Trevor's blog, and he has some really great pictures of you! You look so dang awesome! I gained all my weight back, so I am currently trying another approach! Keep up the great work!

anna said...

cool pictures! you inspire me!! i seriously want to do this now. you are so awesome!!!