Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The Summer That Wouldn't End

We got an automated phone call last week from our kids' school. They're going to be attending a brand new public school being built locally, and we had been told (in a previous automated phone call) by the principal that the school would be finished in time to start with all the other public schools on August 25th. But last week's call had no such good news. The woman's voice on the phone dropped the bomb: for the safety of our children the start of school will be postponed and won't start until September 5. I was aghast and angry. I wanted to reach through the phone and throttle the principal. How could they get our hopes up like that then dash them to pieces like a baseball through a window? If we had been expecting to start late all along it wouldn't be such a shocker. But to convey this depressing revelation with only a week to go 'til Sanity is crueler than cruel. I was in a funk. My neighbor told me she cried. Two weeks seemed like an eternity. I tried to look at the positives and could really only come up with one: I could continue to run outdoors for two more weeks without having to rise at an unearthly hour to put in some time on the treadmill. But the thought didn't ameliorate me.

Now we're in the countdown with a week and a half to go. I'm trying to fill it with trips, activities, time passers, anything. And I'm realizing that almost 4 months away from school has been damaging to my kids' learning. Maybe I should fill it with some homeschooling...

3 comments:

anna said...

gosh, i just hate the first days of school. i hate getting up early and actually living by a schedule. today was isla's first day and let me tell you, i'm tired. and i only have one in preschool.

i hope your kids are having a great time in their new school though!

Alisa said...

It was good to have lunch with you guys the other day! It is nice to have school back-- even your kids now. I thought things would be less busy, but they are crazier than ever!

anna said...

just wondering how you guys are doing!!